Goole on the Web
Incorporating Wetwang-on-the-Web

Boothferry

Booth's Ferry 1651. 'Ferry at Booth (near Howden)', from Old Scandinavian ferja. The place-name Booth (originally Botheby 1550) was named from a family who came from one of the places called Boothby.
'A Dictionary of English Place-Names', Oxford University Press

Boothferry Bridge 1 Boothferry Bridge 2 The old ferry crossing

Booth village is a small collection of houses, but today it is famous for Boothferry Bridge which carried all the traffic to the coast before the M62 Ouse Bridge was opened. The derelict jetties of the old ferry and a single-storey toll house can still be seen at the end of Ferry Lane. Upstream from the toll house are a row of large poplar trees.

The Ferryboat Inn - Shaped like a ferryboat! A park bench The Redbeck Transport Cafe

The Ferrboat Inn is the drinking establishment of the area and was a welcome relief for motorists driving back from the coast on sunny summer Sundays. The Redbeck transport cafe is similarly a meeting place for motorbikers on a Sunday afternoon and the starting point for cycling clubs heading for the Dales. Kemps's ice cream stall has unfortunately disappeared.

South of the river at the Hook/Airmyn roundabout is an innocent looking bench. Legend has it that long-running TV series Last of the Summer Wine was based around three characters who used to sit on this bench watching the world go by.

Visitor Comments

Posted by John Jessop at 22/12/2009 21:17
As a small child I used to be taken to have an ice-cream at Kemps Cafe. In the early days there was a sales kiosk in the entrance to the car park of the original cafe which became the Ferryboat Inn. This was facing the road to Knedlington but later on it was moved to be near the new Mayphil Cafe before finally settling at the corner of the Knedlington and Howden Roads.
Kemps Ices were a treat and on a warm Sunday afternoon a stream of people would walk from Goole to buy one before walking back again.

Add your own comment